Thursday, September 1, 2016

Telemachus’s “coming of age”


 From the start of the book, we see Telemachus as a confused, sad, timid person that can’t really express his feelings to those around him. His home is invaded with a bunch of suitors trying to wed his mom. These suitors have been basically give Telemachus more than a hard time in his own home- they are basically consuming his entire estate, stealing food and acting as if it was their own home. They are pretty much the worst “guests” ever. “Guests” because were they even welcomed to their home? No I don’t think so. Especially at this time and place where hospitality is valued above all, these suitors are clearly in the wrong. Penelope herself also clearly doesn’t want them there, as she unwinds her silk every night for four years trying to put them off (although she is leading them on). Because the war ended 10 years before this book started and Odysseus left for war right when Telemachus was a baby, that means Telemachus has been waiting for his father to return for all his life, half of which has been invaded by the suitors. From 10 to 21, Telemachus’s entire transition from childhood to adulthood has been marred by his rude house guest, although he never gets the idea to actually stand up to them until Athena shows up. Like what??? The time between 10 to 21 is where people end up growing up, figuring out who they are. So basically what I am trying to say is 10 years is a longgg time not to stand up for yourself and that can’t just change overnight (which is basically what happened in the book. He gets tucked in by the nurse in his warm bed and wakes up to call the assembly). So I believe we are giving Telemachus too much credit when we say Athena is only inspiring Telemachus to stand up for himself. Honestly, I think she is acting more like a puppet master then anything else. Before Athena comes, Telemachus is brooding over his father, wishing he was there to get rid of all these suitors. It doesn’t even come to his mind that he could get rid of them himself. But when Athena comes he just “suddenly gets all that courage”. She comes to his home and talks to Telemachus and first puts the idea of setting sail to find word of his father, and Telemachus used THE SAME WORDS when he talks to the assembly the next day. If someone told me something today, I for sure would NOT be able to recite it word for word the next day….. Also the entire idea of setting sail to find word of Odysseus, when I don’t think it has been clear that Telemachus has gone that far from his house before, I feel like it would have taken longer to have him convinced to go on this trip. Especially since the idea literally came from an absolute stranger. But no. Again, he was convinced like that, just over night. Athena even goes as far as impersonating Telemachus when she goes and gathers the crew members for his trip. Even in the start of book 3 when Telemachus is going to meet the king of Pylos, Athena is literally pulling/ and pushing him along- just as one would do with a puppet. Although she does leave him to go to Sparta by himself, as if going to Pylos was a “test run”, I’m still not believing that Telemachus could change so much over night without some mythical force Athena has brought forth that’s doing a  little more then just “inspiring him”.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your point that Athena is definitely doing a little (or a lot) than just inspiring Telemachus. However, when you said puppet master it made me think. I feel like whenever I read about Greek mythology, the gods are pretty much always the puppet masters, with mortals getting tangled up within their arguments or goals. So I don't think it's that out of the ordinary that Athena is taking so much charge in this case. Also, in the end, isn't all that really matters is what gets down, and how Telemachus is portrayed? The rest of the population don't know that Athena is behind all of this, and if Telemachus continues to give off this impression, he'll (hopefully) grow into it, and the of the people will treat him differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. Although Athena has been with Telemachus' father, Athena has been "constantly watching over" Telemachus to a larger extent than the great Odysseus. I always thought Telemachus was kind of "lame", especially as the son of Odysseus. I think that in books after 13-14 when it starts to focus on Telemachus we will see his growth as a character. But so far, he seems inauthentic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of your questions about Telemachus and his lack of action w/r/t the suitors actually anticipate some of the things Odysseus says to Telemachus on his return, when he's still in disguise, talking about how if *he* were in Telemachus's position, things would have gone differently, nothing would have stopped him from taking his revenge, etc. We could definitely read this as the returning father chastising his son for this passivity, almost as complaining that he now has to deal with this mess. Telemachus totally steps up and contributes to dealing with the mess (by making a very big, bloody mess), but there is a hint that Odysseus isn't too pleased with how he's let things get out of hand.

    ReplyDelete